This week in my Creative Writing: Poetry class our topic is family. Family can be a really broad topic which makes me happy. As I sat down to start brainstorming ideas, in Starbucks, this just popped into my head. I love my dad. P.S. Feel free to tell me what you think, the whole point of the class is to get feedback on your work.
10-4
Tan, gold, blue and black,
were the colors that filled my wide eyes of childhood,
during those welcome home hugs.
The star shaped badge gleamed bright,
pinned on my father's shirt right above his heart.
The black, shiny belt adorned with foreign objects fueled my curiosity,
that made me want to reach out and touch them.
The radio hanging at his hip would begin to crackle,
muffled voices on the other end saying words in code I couldn't understand.
It would disappear into his closet, not to be touched by my little hands.
When it was time for work again, red and blue flashing lights
sitting proudly over the white and black,
would put on a show in front of my house as he drove away down the street.
Highway protector, victim defender, and bad-guy grabber
was, and still is, what my father symbolizes to me.

Ok I confess! I cried like a baby reading this! It's precious! Can't wait for your Daddy to read this~
ReplyDelete:) I'd be scared if I was James...asking your pops. lol. I like it. What is the creative requirements for this piece? Have you already turned it in? The best pieces I have ever come across have always played to these 5 things: Touch, Smell, Taste, See, and Hear. Everything that you describe should come alive in poetry. Not just a creek, but a babbling brook. The smell stagnant air on a hot lazy summer afternoon. The shadows of trees dancing across the moss-laden rocks. Etc. etc. The best poetry has always brought out all the senses in me, made me a part of their own writing.
ReplyDeleteI like your poem. I love those memories! I would encourage you to 'bring it alive', make it more personal, invite me to join in that feeling with you. Describe dad. Scruffy face? Warm breath? Car smell? I like the shiny belt. Rough pants scratched against you when you hugged? How was the hug? Did he pick you up and swing you? Dizzy? Hair everywhere? What color locks? What did his EYES tell you? Color? Passionate? Happy? Convey that same pride that I know you have, convey that to me. Convey that to your teacher! Make me feel the 'pride of the red and blue' etc. Make me re-read this over and over and over again. What were his hands like, that picked you up? What were you wearing? What did the house smell like, what did the day feel like when he came home, and what did it feel like when he sped off with his lights flashing? What did YOU feel like? (personal!) What were your emotions? I want to FEEL you! I want to be right there WITH you! I want to see your excitement and your passion!
lol and I'm rambling now. Sorry. But I really did like it! I'm sorry if it sounds like I didn't, you did ask for feed-back. :) Poetry moods are fun. :P
Love ya sis-
ps- good use of "fueled" my curiosity, and good descriptor of your 'wide' eyes. Makes me feel what you're seeing. Possibly also young and innocent, wide curious eyes in the world, possibly new to earth, young, fresh and happy, etc. More to a word than we might think. ;)
ReplyDelete