In a world where everything is running faster and its population becoming increasingly busier, nothing else seems to throw a wrench in the wheel of rushing around better than a long line.
A long line of cars at the drive-thru window. A long line at the post office or DMV. A long line at the grocery or retail store. No matter where the line is forming the level of patience among those who are waiting in it inevitably drops a few degrees and sometimes tempers are bound to flare.
There is a line that I personally don't mind waiting in though. You walk into this building full of tables and over sized arm chairs and it hits you. The aroma. The smell of rich, bold amazing-ness hits your nose and you know by the time you set foot out of the building you'll have tasted the flavors and savored every last drop of liquid goodness. Can you guess what and where I'm talking about? Starbucks ladies and gentlemen...I'm talking about Starbucks.
The line for coffee, tea, and pastries is almost out the door at our Starbucks on campus during my break from 10-11 a.m. We college students need our caffeine. The staff and faculty do as well. I've observed several of them who don't even need to order, the baristas already know exactly what they want.
I'm not a big fan of lines at all but for some reason the line at Starbucks just doesn't seem too bad when I come out at the end with my steaming cup of coffee that arms me with the energy to tackle my next class and whatever else the day might bring.
Ah....coffeeeeee. My parents lied to me growing up, I actually never had coffee (regularly) until I was 16 or 17. And then it was just the fun 'fufu' drinks at our local Starbucks. The Navy sure did a number on me though. "A good cup o Joe". This phrase originated actually in the Navy. Prohibition period (a while ago) came along. This old salt named Joseph something outlawed alcohol while in a duty status. (Which is one of the three sins God has excepted sailors from. [the other two are women and swearing]) Well, the sailors needed something to replace the empty bottles in their hands so they got coffee, and coined the term "Cup o' Joe".
ReplyDeleteJust kidding about being excused from the sin though. lol. Ah, but I swear, coffee runs thicker than blood through my body. Sweet, hot, unadulturated joe.
;)
Funny story. = )
ReplyDeleteI like it.
I wasn't a big coffee drinker until a few years ago but now I can't seem to get enough.