I'm watching "Julie and Julia" for the third time in two months right now.
This movie makes me happy. If you haven't watched it, I really recommend that you do. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the movie is about Julie Powell who cooks and blogs her way through Julia Child's cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". It's funny and sweet and is an all around great movie/true story.
The cooking part isn't the inspiration that I was talking about. For those of you who really know me, you're aware of the fact that I have no cooking ability what-so-ever. I've set the fire alarm off in my house when there was absolutely nothing in the pan that was on the stove. What the heck!?! Luckily moving out has strengthened my cooking skills a tiny bit. Having Corinne around a lot helps too. We try to cook dinner together as much as possible.
The inspiration here is Julie Powell's determination to write and blog no matter what. "Tomorrow, we begin again. Isn't that always the way?," she states at the end of her post on September 2, 2002 (that was also the day she ate her first egg!). She was married, had a full time job, and still managed to blog almost every day. That's dedication right?
I need that same dedication. I love to write. I'm taking 4 writing classes this semester which makes my heart happy. Last Thursday, I had two classes and in both of them all we had to do was write about whatever we wanted. Time flew and before I knew it class was over and it was time to go. Honestly I wish every college class could be that way.
So I'm going to strive to blog more. You might get some random class assignment retyped or an original work that's all this blog's very own, who knows. I'm just going to write. Like Julie Powell. Maybe one day they'll make a movie out of it....ha!
Here's Julie Powell's blog in case you're curious about reading it. Try and read along while watching the movie and find the actual day they're portraying. It's pretty fun. (Disclaimer: Although there's literally next to no cussing in the movie, Julie has a bit of a mouth on her in her actual blog.)
Happy reading!
I loved that movie. After I watched it I was obsessed with Julia Powells blog and obsessed with Julia Childs. I kept You Tubing all her old cooking shows. So fun to watch.
ReplyDeleteI love Julia Childs anyways. Regardless of her cooking ability, it's the fact that she can make other people laugh, the presentation of it, that makes it worth the while. (Remember that old sketch of 'her' cutting her arm?) lol. Keep up the good work! If you set a day, like, every wednesday a new blog will be published, then you're followers will increase (or at least remain steady), and you will always have a deadline for when you need to get the next piece out. :) I look forward to hearing the latest jokes, following your stories, and watching you grow! :D
ReplyDeleteI read the book Julie and Julia after I saw and movie and was so disappointed! Can you believe I'M saying that. I mean I didn't even see the movie Because of Winn Dixie for several years because I was afraid they would ruin the book. They didn't by the way, but the book is still one of my all time favorite children's books. Julie is a potty mouth! I guess I'm a prude but I absolutely HATE the f word! I mean wise up people! Show that you have some smarts and use a little creativity and find other words to use! There are so many beautiful words in the English vocabulary! HA maybe I should start a blog about not using the F word! Love reading your stuff sugar!
ReplyDeleteMom
You should start a blog about that. Every week blog about a situation where people usually would use the f-word and then tell us what they should say instead.
ReplyDeleteHa! I see so much of that in the Navy (you know sailors, good at four things: women, drinking, and swearing, and fighting) and so when someone says the F word to me in passing or conversation I repeat it with a random F word, like, "Oh, you meant he was a fruit cake" "Oh, you mean she was foxy hott" "Oh, you mean what the frisbee?" lol. Instead of being a total goof they usually start laughing, and while it doesn't change their mouth (per-say) it does change how they talk around me. It's fun. And creative. :D (A blog would definitely be something I would refer them too though!) :)
ReplyDelete