Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Breathing in Twilight

I walked outside as the sun was setting
The air was still warm from the heat of the day.

Moving barefoot across the grass
my feet eventually met the wood of the dock.

The boards were worn smooth and
looked as though they were glowing in the fading light.

Walking down towards the end
I  stared out at the now still water.

It looked like a slab of blue slate with
little ripples here and there etched into the surface.

Reach the end, I wrapped my toes over the edge,
I stretched out my arms and took a breath.

But this was not a normal breath.

This breath was deeper, fulfilling, and sweet.
This air smelled of summer and days spent on the river playing.





6 comments:

  1. Made me homesick for North Carolina. You should put a caption under your picture. Last line *fulling? not sure what you meant.
    Love you ... your editor my default!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! even editors make mistakes! *by
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant fulfilling. I want to go to North Carolina so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. I love the 'toes curl' statement. :) It brings it alive for me. And the worn wood, and heat of the day. Nicely done. (ps, are you a sunrise or sunset girl?) It seems like together, we captured the waking and the setting. I wonder who wrote about the midday? I like it. Thank you sis. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corinne (the bestie)March 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM

    i read this and got a lump in my throught... can we please put this down on a check list of things to do before you get married.... take a DRIVEN road trip to north carolina?! i want to see it soo bad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great times and great memories have been had and made on that dock! A little piece of heaven on earth!

    Love,

    Dad

    P.S. "Married" - what the hey is that all about?

    ReplyDelete