English 180, Literature Appreciation. Probably one of the best classes on my schedule this semester and the reason for that is my professor. I've always found that the classes that I've loved the most are taught by amazing people. For this class I have Boak Ferris and yes that really is his name.
In the few short months that I've been in his class (every Monday, Wednesday and Friday) he's taught me how to analyze what I read and has done it with humor, wit and style. We've rarely had assignments but this week Boak decided to sort of pile it on. We've moved into poetry recently and he decided that we should try first hand at writing some ourselves. Two sonnets and two haiku are what we students had to take on. I'll admit, while I love to write, poetry has never really been my strong suit. Sure I've tried it and thought I had done a pretty good job on some but poetry just wasn't what I really felt compelled to write.
I managed to complete three out of the four while sitting in the LB Town Center's Starbucks with Corinne as we drank our peppermint mocha from red cups (I think red cups will have to be a separate post all on its own). The last one I completed this morning. The sonnets had to be about love and a situation that is only relevant to me. The haiku had to be about bumblebees and whatever I wanted to write about which ended up being snow.
So here are my poems. They are not amazing works of words but I think they'll do nicely for this assignment...just don't mock me. = )
“Long Distant”
If absence makes the heart grow fonder
Then my heart has more fondness than it can take.
While we’re together time is something we don’t squander
But when you’re gone I feel a sort of ache.
Your duty calls you to be far away.
Our love has become long distant.
I just wish that you could stay
And our time spent together could stay consistent.
One day your time will be done and you’ll be here.
The months of waiting and hoping will be no more.
I won’t have any reason to worry or fear
Because you won’t have to leave me anymore.
Long distant love may not be the best
But knowing I’m with you sure makes me feel blessed.
Then my heart has more fondness than it can take.
While we’re together time is something we don’t squander
But when you’re gone I feel a sort of ache.
Your duty calls you to be far away.
Our love has become long distant.
I just wish that you could stay
And our time spent together could stay consistent.
One day your time will be done and you’ll be here.
The months of waiting and hoping will be no more.
I won’t have any reason to worry or fear
Because you won’t have to leave me anymore.
Long distant love may not be the best
But knowing I’m with you sure makes me feel blessed.
“The Curls in My Hair”
My hair has caught the eye of many a passerby,
They tell me my curls are something to be desired.
When asked if they are natural I cannot tell a lie.
I tell them that my hair is indeed naturally acquired.
But when I was a toddler my hair was long and straight,
But a high fever came and took that all away.
Left with no hair the only thing to do was wait and wait.
They tell me my curls are something to be desired.
When asked if they are natural I cannot tell a lie.
I tell them that my hair is indeed naturally acquired.
But when I was a toddler my hair was long and straight,
But a high fever came and took that all away.
Left with no hair the only thing to do was wait and wait.
As the months went on my hair grew back in a curly display.
I consider my curls natural and that’s how they’ll always be.
Some people may argue that that’s not really what they are,
But if they look back on my life they’ll see
That these curls have always been me no matter how bizarre.
Loosing my hair and having it grow back a little strange,
Is something that I love and I would never ever change.
I consider my curls natural and that’s how they’ll always be.
Some people may argue that that’s not really what they are,
But if they look back on my life they’ll see
That these curls have always been me no matter how bizarre.
Loosing my hair and having it grow back a little strange,
Is something that I love and I would never ever change.
“Wonder of Winter”
Snow is on the ground
Sparkles in the moonlit night
Wonder of winter
“Springtime Workers”
Bees zip in and out
Among the flowers bright red
Workers of the spring
No comments:
Post a Comment