I'm realizing when you don't have very much to do, you think about increasingly random things. Today, it's what blogs are popular and what it means for me.
This blog was started in the hopes that when I moved two years ago my friends and family could keep up with what I was doing and served as a diary of sorts for my last couple college years. Then I started reading blogs that inspired me, rockstar diaries, the wild and wily ways of a brunette bombshell, and boho baby bump (to name a few), and I began to think that my little blog could become something more. These lovely ladies mentioned above have hundreds to thousands of readers a day, why couldn't I?
So I tried to revamp the look of the blog (which I still struggle with, any suggestions would be great), the posts that I was writing, and I started trying to "network" by linking up and a few other means. I still feel like that's not gonna do it. There's not a whole lot of evidence to say that I'm on my way to become a popular blogger and I started to think about why. It seems to me that the more popular blogs have common themes; motherhood, young married couples, cooking, or living in a fun place like New York City, where there's a lot of things to do and a lot of people dreaming/wishing they lived there too. Don't get me wrong, I love these types of blogs! I read and enjoy them just as much as the next person, but I'm kinda stuck! (or it feels that way anyways)!
I'm not going to be a mother any time soon (see next sentence). Since the man I love is off being a hero thousands of miles away, getting married couldn't even happen until he gets back and, even then, I'm supposedly going to have "no idea" it's coming. I'm eventually going to have to learn to cook more than what I already know how to cook, but that's not what I'm passionate about! For right now, I live in the salad capital of the work, where gangs run rampant and John Steinbeck is our town's claim to fame. I could become a military blogger and join the community filled with awesome blogs, such as; ACUs, Stiletto Shoes, and Pretty Pink Tutus, Life is the messy bits, and Life's Little Indulgences. But despite my "I don't care what people think about me" philosophy that I try to live by, there's too much drama involved and I'm hesitant to talk about this extremely huge part of my life because of it (Sucks right? I really should just get over it and write whatever I feel like, within reason).
So with the trends that I see in blogging and not being able to plug into any of those categories,
where do I fit in?
How can I make blogging the writing outlet I've been dreaming about?
Do "followers" and numbers really matter all that much?
These thoughts and more are ones that I'll be thinking about more in the next few days.
*This is not meant to be a pity me post. I'm a writer and when I'm pondering something, I'm gonna write about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment